Friday, May 6, 2011

The Carnegie Hall 120th Birthday Concert and Dinner

Just when I thought my week could not get any better I arrived at Carnegie Hall for The Carnegie Hall 120th Birthday Concert and Dinner and headed to the Stage Door to sign in. Luckily I was early cause traffic has been crazy this week. I was standing just inside the door when Yo-Yo Ma arrived. My cameras were not yet on my shoulder so it was not obvious that I was the house photographer. I gave Yo-Yo a great big smile and he walked up to me and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I didn't say a word cause I know it was a simple case of mistaken identity but believe me when I say my knees went a little weak and it gave me a smile that lasted all night! Yes it is true I do photograph a lot of people but not every one recognises me unless I have 2 cameras around my neck.
So then it was up to the 2nd floor to photograph everyone arriving. The Weils were the first to arrive looking wonderful as always.
Mercedes Bass looked ravishing in her black one shoulder Oscar de la Renta gown.
Suzie and Bruce Kovner seem to be every where I go. They were in St Barths last month for Pamela Fiori's book signing and ever since the always shy Bruce has allowed me to take his photo. Suzie is ever radiant and was wearing a strapless ball gown.
Jesse Norman arrived with a flourish of purple gown and silver jacket.
Alec Baldwin turned heads but sadly he didn't offer to give me a kiss. Probably just as well cause I may have dropped my camera and he did have a very beautiful date by his side.
It was the 3rd night I have seen Daisy Soros this week. She stopped for a little chat and has promised to tell me how she met her husband at International House. I think there may be a scandal involved.
Marie-Josée and Henry Kravis dashed in at the last minute and I managed to get a photo before they entered their box.
It was then time for the curtain to go up so I took my place in the back to take photos.
The Lincoln Center Philharmonic was playing. It is the first time I have seen Alan Gilbert conduct and it was magic. The best way to describe it was that his body was like a butterfly and music fluttered on the end of his fingers. He was conducting the orchestra with pianist Emanuel Ax, violinist Gil Shaham, and cellist Yo-Yo Ma as the guest soloists in Beethoven’s Triple Concerto. After the intermission Audra McDonald sand some songs of Duke Ellington.
I then raced to the Plaza to get there before the guest. Dinner did not start until 10pm and the next time I looked at the time it was after mid night.

To view all the photos please click on this link The Carnegie Hall 120th Birthday Concert and Dinner


No comments: